We rely on HVAC systems to keep our indoor temperatures pleasant throughout the year, which means your HVAC system works all year round. In order to ensure that you’re always breathing fresh air, regular maintenance is a must.
We’ll cover the most important things to check before the summer and winter days in this AC maintenance guide. Keep reading to learn why AC maintenance is essential. Then, take a look at the checklists we’ve prepared to help you maintain your AC system at home.
Why is AC Maintenance Important?
AC maintenance is one of the household tasks that should be your top priority for multiple reasons. Let’s check them out!
1. Fresh Air
AC units fill up with dust and mold quickly. Regular maintenance keeps the units free from any debris. Doing this keeps the air quality high. Anyone who has asthma or allergies will breathe more easily.
Heating HVAC systems carry a small short circuit risk. Regular maintenance prevents that from happening. It keeps the whole system safer, as no catastrophes with carbon monoxide can occur.
Your AC system will be much more reliable if you regularly maintain it. The chances of a malfunction become much lower. You can rest assured that it’ll keep your home cool and comfortable during the sweltering summer days.
4. AC Unit Lifetime
Much like any equipment, regular maintenance ensures that it lasts longer. If you want to make the most of your HVAC system or an AC unit, create a maintenance plan and stick to it. Poorly kept systems can deteriorate within only a couple of years. Getting a new system is an unnecessary expense when the one you’re using can last you for 15 or more years at least.
5. Lower Costs
Regular maintenance can help you reduce ongoing costs in two ways.
First, during the checkup, potential issues are easy to spot and repairs are minor. That way, you’re preventing the issue from causing a much bigger problem that would take more time and money to repair.
Second, an AC unit that’s constantly clogged up and operating under stress is much less efficient. You can expect higher energy bills. Therefore, regular maintenance will lower the energy upkeep of your HVAC system.
As you can tell, the list of reasons why AC maintenance is important is long. Therefore, we advise you to reach out to a local expert and set up a maintenance plan. AC maintenance service costs quickly pay themselves off by avoiding the above-mentioned repair bills.
Keep reading to learn what happens during HVAC maintenance for summer and winter.
Summer Maintenance Checklist
If the summer months are looming ahead, here's what a professional does when they come out to your house for your annual AC servicing and maintenance:
- Complete filter replacement
- Clean condensers and evaporator coils
- Inspect and clear any clogs from the drain lines
- Remove standing water from the drain pans
- Examine pulleys and belts. If they wear out, replacement is necessary
- Inspect all ducts require for mold, dust, and any kind of debris
- Look for any leaks of the refrigerant charge
- Check thermostat
- Check fan motor
- Lubricate moving parts
- Look for leaks in the HVAC cabinet
- Examine electric wiring everywhere
The maintenance list is essential in ensuring your home stays chilled during the summertime.
Keep reading to learn what you need to do before heating your living space!
Winter Maintenance Checklist
Some of the winter maintenance checklist items are the same as for the summer one. There are a couple of crucial differences, especially if you have a furnace. Here's what a professional does when they service your HVAC system for heating:
- Regular filter replacements every 30 to 90 days
- Ignition burner assembly check
- All the heating elements, including the heat exchanger, require a thorough check. That will prevent any carbon monoxide issues.
- Check whether the flue system is attached to the furnace
- Gas leak check for gas furnace
- Gas pressure check
- Belts and pulleys require a change
- Drain line clearing
- Check electric wiring everywhere
- Bearings and motors need lubrication
- Thermostat check
- Heat pump check
Go through the checklist with a professional maintenance service provider near you, and you can spend the winter months worry-free.
AC Maintenance Tips
Check some of the following tips to ensure that your AC is running optimally.
- Importance of replacing filters – Change air filters regularly and use filters from well-known manufacturers. This will keep the air in your home fresh. Plus, you’ll spend less on your energy bills.
- Reminder to clear debris on outside units – Your external HVAC unit needs two feet of clearance to function optimally. Perform weekly checks and remove any debris near your outdoor unit. That includes leaves too. During the summer, keep the lawnmower clippings away from your unit.
- Regularly check refrigerant lines – The refrigerant lines require monthly clearance. If you notice they are wearing out, contact your local AC maintenance service to replace them.
- Check whether the unit is level to the ground – Remember to periodically check whether your HVAC unit is level to the ground. Once every six months is enough. That way, you’ll ensure that it operates as intended.
Need Help with AC Maintenance?
We hope that you’ve found these HVAC basics helpful. Get in touch with One Call Service for all of your HVAC questions and needs.
We look forward to hearing from you!