Regular service is required to keep your air conditioner or HVAC system in good working order. Without it, you'll likely experience lower performance and more expensive repairs.
We've been servicing air conditioners for a long time, and this article is based on our years of experience. Continue reading as we discuss the benefits and costs of AC service and maintenance. We'll also discuss how often you should have your air conditioner serviced and some preventive maintenance practices you can use on your air conditioner.
How Often Should You Have Your Air Conditioner Serviced?
We recommend having your air conditioner professionally serviced once a year. However, a twice-yearly check-up for the HVAC equipment will keep it in the best working order; once for the air conditioning unit in the spring and once for the heating unit in the fall.
If strange sounds are coming from the equipment, you smell something strange, the air conditioning is not cooling properly, or you see damage to the exterior or interior units, you should contact a specialist to look at it instead of waiting for your yearly maintenance appointment.
Air Conditioning Preventative Maintenance
The recommendations for annual AC servicing and maintenance are for professional care. You can also undertake a lot of preventive maintenance on your own to keep your air conditioner in peak condition. These tasks can be performed on a weekly or monthly basis.
Here are some examples of steps you can take on your own:
- Replace or clean the air filter. You'll need to replace the filters more frequently if you have dogs, indoor plants, or children with allergies.
- Wash the drainpipe as needed to flush away debris and avoid algae build-up based on your visual inspection.
- Keep the area around the exterior units free of obstructions. Garbage and leaves should not be piled up around them.
- Clean the condenser coils in the outside unit. This step is best left to the professionals. Give One Call Service a call and we’ll be happy to help.
Benefits of Regular AC Service and Maintenance
Regular AC service and maintenance improves the life of your unit, decreases the need for expensive repairs, and improves performance.
Periodic AC maintenance has several health benefits, including fewer asthma attacks and improved air quality.
Regular maintenance ensures that your air conditioner performs efficiently, lowering your power bill by lowering the amount of electricity necessary to run it.
Maintenance is also cheaper than replacing parts because AC components are relatively expensive.
By reducing gas and pollution leakage in the air, AC servicing and maintenance help to protect the environment.
Air Conditioning Maintenance Procedures
The primary goal of routine air conditioning maintenance is to clean both the outside and inside units, inspect the structure for deterioration, and repair any broken or malfunctioning parts before they require major–and costly–repairs.
Here's what a professional does when they come out to your house for annual AC servicing and maintenance:
- Examine the outside and inside units for general wear and tear. This includes visually inspecting each component and looking for physical damage.
- Check the temperature on the thermostat. The normal lifespan of an air conditioning thermostat is ten years, but dust buildup and bad wiring can cause them to fail sooner.
- Check the starter function. The starter motor is important for turning on the AC unit and protects your air conditioning against voltage fluctuations and overcurrent. This AC competent's proper operation is critical.
- Replace or clean air filters as needed. The technician will also inspect and repair the air conditioning ducts.
- Check and test the condenser. The condenser is one of the most important parts of your air conditioner, and damage to it can cause your system to overheat and break down prematurely.
- Look for any signs of a gas leak—AC gas leakage results in higher energy expenditures, less cooling, and environmental damage. Your technician will look for corrosion and check the evaporator coils for ice build-up.
- Small insects, dust, fungi, and debris can all be found inside drain pipes. Cleaning and sealing any leaks in the pipes are part of the air conditioning maintenance procedure.
In the long term, proactive AC service and maintenance are more cost-effective than reactionary repairs. It is best to have your air conditioner serviced at least once a year and perform preventive maintenance all year long.
Aside from the health and financial benefits, you can help the environment by having your air conditioner regularly serviced, choosing ozone-friendly refrigerant, and keeping it at optimal efficiency to save energy.
We handle both business and residential properties and provide excellent value. To learn more about our services, check out our services page.